Meet Carlee Alm-LaBar
Carlee decided to run for Lafayette Mayor-President after twenty years of volunteer and professional experiences in the Lafayette community. She has the vision, leadership, and execution that Lafayette needs right now.
Carlee Alm-LaBar has the vision to imagine innovative ideas and the creativity to turn those ideas into reality.
- Helped develop Intro Lafayette, a program of Leadership Institute of Acadiana that orients newcomers and longtime residents to Lafayette
- Led the community wide adoption of the city and parish’s first comprehensive plan, Plan Lafayette.
- Started the Lafayette Farmers and Artisans Market at the Horse Farm (now Moncus Park)
- Helped revitalize neighborhoods by bringing the first Better Block events and parklets to Lafayette.
- Instrumental in the relaunch of CASA of SoLA after several years without a local CASA program in the parish—the program serves children who are placed in the foster care system.
Carlee is a natural leader; in her professional and volunteer work, she regularly rises to leadership roles.
- Chair of Leadership Institute of Acadiana (the parent organization of Leadership Lafayette).
Several board roles on the Junior League of Lafayette, including Chief Financial Officer and Communications Vice-President
- She’s been honored several times for her leadership including as a Woman Who Means Business in 2015, recognition as a Top 20 Under 40 young professional and a graduate of Leadership Louisiana.
- Long-time board member on the Lafayette Youth Soccer Association (last term ended May 2019)
Given a task, Carlee leads it to its conclusion by being collaborative and disciplined. She knows how to build and lead a team.
- Led LCG effort to rewrite the zoning and development regulations.
- Led LCG and downtown effort to reform the downtown bar and alcohol rules to allow downtown to become a more development-friendly place.
- Organized and led the citizen-led, grassroots Fix the Charter organization that supported the 2018 charter amendments to create new City and Parish Councils.
Carlee moved to the Lafayette area through the teaching program Teach for America, and taught math at Church Point High School from 1998 to 2000. Carlee graduated Magna Cum Laude from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, and earned a Masters in Public Administration from Louisiana State University.
Carlee has been married to William LaBar since 2005. Will is a Vice-President at CGI, a long-time soccer coach (at Lafayette Youth Soccer Association/Cajun Soccer Club, Lafayette High School, and St. Thomas More), and also a very active community volunteer.